Boxing Day
The second day of Christmas, also known as Boxing Day or St Stephen's Day (a little known saint, achieved fame by being the first Christian to be martyred for his faith, and met his death by stoning.)
From young, I was made understood that this day is the day where you get to unwrap all the Christmas presents received. As I grow older, this day has become quite meaningless because I do not receive any more presents :P
I also learned that Boxing Day doesn't really mean what I have understood. Let me share what I have found out.
There is much dispute over the true origins of Boxing Day. However, there is generally two theories widely accepted.
The first is that centuries ago, on the day after Christmas, members of the merchant class would give boxes containing food and fruit, clothing, and/or money to trades people and servants. The gifts were an expression of gratitude much like when people receive bonuses, from their employer, for a job well done, today. These gifts, given in boxes, gave the holiday it's name, "Boxing Day".
The second thought is that Boxing Day comes from the tradition of opening the alms boxes placed in churches over the Christmas season. The contents thereof which were distributed amongst the poor, by the clergy, the day after Christmas.
Nowadays, Boxing Day is a public holiday in Australia, Britain, New Zealand and Canada. As St Stephen is the patron saint of horses, Boxing Day has become associated with horse-racing and hunting in the UK. Other sports like rugby and football is also played. In Canada, retails stores tend to sell off their excess Christmas inventory at signifantly reduced price, some even extending it into a Boxing Week.
Overall, Boxing Day is spent with family and friends with lots of food and sharing of love and friendship. To keep the tradition of Boxing Day alive, many businesses, organizations, and families donate their time, services, and money to aid Food Banks and provide gifts for the poor, or they may choose to help an individual family that is in need.
From young, I was made understood that this day is the day where you get to unwrap all the Christmas presents received. As I grow older, this day has become quite meaningless because I do not receive any more presents :P
I also learned that Boxing Day doesn't really mean what I have understood. Let me share what I have found out.
There is much dispute over the true origins of Boxing Day. However, there is generally two theories widely accepted.
The first is that centuries ago, on the day after Christmas, members of the merchant class would give boxes containing food and fruit, clothing, and/or money to trades people and servants. The gifts were an expression of gratitude much like when people receive bonuses, from their employer, for a job well done, today. These gifts, given in boxes, gave the holiday it's name, "Boxing Day".
The second thought is that Boxing Day comes from the tradition of opening the alms boxes placed in churches over the Christmas season. The contents thereof which were distributed amongst the poor, by the clergy, the day after Christmas.
Nowadays, Boxing Day is a public holiday in Australia, Britain, New Zealand and Canada. As St Stephen is the patron saint of horses, Boxing Day has become associated with horse-racing and hunting in the UK. Other sports like rugby and football is also played. In Canada, retails stores tend to sell off their excess Christmas inventory at signifantly reduced price, some even extending it into a Boxing Week.
Overall, Boxing Day is spent with family and friends with lots of food and sharing of love and friendship. To keep the tradition of Boxing Day alive, many businesses, organizations, and families donate their time, services, and money to aid Food Banks and provide gifts for the poor, or they may choose to help an individual family that is in need.
I somehow prefer to stick with my own definition of unwrapping Christmas gifts on Boxing Day. Well, I did receive a gift today. But since it's not wrapped, I did not get to unwrap any gift this year. :D
Thanks to you-know-who-yourself for the sweet gift. It sure is useful. ;)