Receipt
We had lunch at McDonald's yesterday.
It took a long time to order our food. Imagine there was 10-15 staffs in the outlet, but only 2 was put to service the customers at the counter. The rest was in the kitchen doing god-knows-what.
The air-cooling system was down too. My friend even lamented that it was his first time sweating while having his McD meal.
While biting into our burgers and busy wiping the sweat from our forehead, one of the cashiers approached a family (1 man, 2 ladies, 2 children) seated next to us. He was telling the lady that she has not paid for her food.
A small argument ensued. The lady then went to the counter in attempt to make things clear. She was accompanied by another lady. They were both trying to explain the whole process of ordering their food, paying for it, and receiving the change. By then, the commotion had drawn the attention of a few patrons. Even the staffs from the kitchen started to gather. (Go back to your work, you ass! I'm going to cut your salary... :P)
I did not pay attention to the rest of the conversation. The fries and the sundae in front of me was more important. Eventually the ladies went back to their seat, but kept on talking about the matter.
Here's what I managed to make out from their conversation:
Lady #1: "How come he says we did not pay?! He even gave me back the change."
Lady #2: "Ya lor, he gave you back 20 cents mah."
Lady #1: "And he did not give us the receipt after we paid."
Lady #2: "Ya lor, he should have given us the receipt."
Lady #1: "And now he's blaming us and say we did not pay."
Lady #2: "Ya lor."
The conversation was making me thirsty. Yeah, I know I was not the one talking. I guess my mind was overreacting, as if I was talking. While happily slurping my drink, I (again) did not manage to catch what those ladies were discussing about.
I don't remember for how long there was silence, but after a while, the lady manager came out and met with the family. She was speaking softly so I couldn't make out what she talking about. But judging from the family's reply, I guess this is what she asked.
Manager: "Do you mind to explain the whole situation to me again?"
Manager: "Are you sure you have paid?"
The man at the table then started to speak.
Man: "How can you say that we have not paid?!"
Man: "You did not even give us the receipt after we paid."
The man suddenly banged on the table and raised his voice. The manager was obviously taken aback by his action. By now, everyone in the outlet was staring in the direction of the man, including those dumbass staffs.
Man: "What do you mean we have to ask for the receipt to get it?"
Man: "Aren't you suppose to give it to us after payment is made?"
Man: "Now you're saying that we don't have the receipt and did not pay for the food?!"
Man: "The very least you can do now is to apologise, but you did not!"
Man: "I bet none of the customers here got their receipts."
Man: "Fine, go ahead and call the police then. I'll see what you can do. I'll make sure the MCA and DAP (refering to the political parties) are here as well!"
The man stood up, and spoke in Mandarin.
Man: "Everyone, how many of you here received the receipt after your payment?"
Man: "Look at how they run their business. So lousy!"
The ladies were busy making the man to sit down. The manager was quiet throughout the whole ordeal. I guess she was scared to death. She then left the family alone and went back to the office without any more demand. Everything went back to normal after then.
My comment.
The manager could have just checked the total sales and money from that particular cashier. Should the figures matched, end of story. If it doesn't match, then proceed to question the staff.
In the situation where she must approach the family for clarification (or the former), the very first thing she must do is to apologise, no matter who is at fault. "Customer is always right". She must have forgotten that from her training. Afterall, sorry isn't so difficult to say, and most often will ease the tension.
Another thing is, they should give the customers their receipts. You can't expect every customer to demand the receipt from you. That's not the way it works. The management there should really discuss this matter over and find a solution. Else, I can guarantee such incident will repeat.
It took a long time to order our food. Imagine there was 10-15 staffs in the outlet, but only 2 was put to service the customers at the counter. The rest was in the kitchen doing god-knows-what.
The air-cooling system was down too. My friend even lamented that it was his first time sweating while having his McD meal.
While biting into our burgers and busy wiping the sweat from our forehead, one of the cashiers approached a family (1 man, 2 ladies, 2 children) seated next to us. He was telling the lady that she has not paid for her food.
A small argument ensued. The lady then went to the counter in attempt to make things clear. She was accompanied by another lady. They were both trying to explain the whole process of ordering their food, paying for it, and receiving the change. By then, the commotion had drawn the attention of a few patrons. Even the staffs from the kitchen started to gather. (Go back to your work, you ass! I'm going to cut your salary... :P)
I did not pay attention to the rest of the conversation. The fries and the sundae in front of me was more important. Eventually the ladies went back to their seat, but kept on talking about the matter.
Here's what I managed to make out from their conversation:
Lady #1: "How come he says we did not pay?! He even gave me back the change."
Lady #2: "Ya lor, he gave you back 20 cents mah."
Lady #1: "And he did not give us the receipt after we paid."
Lady #2: "Ya lor, he should have given us the receipt."
Lady #1: "And now he's blaming us and say we did not pay."
Lady #2: "Ya lor."
The conversation was making me thirsty. Yeah, I know I was not the one talking. I guess my mind was overreacting, as if I was talking. While happily slurping my drink, I (again) did not manage to catch what those ladies were discussing about.
I don't remember for how long there was silence, but after a while, the lady manager came out and met with the family. She was speaking softly so I couldn't make out what she talking about. But judging from the family's reply, I guess this is what she asked.
Manager: "Do you mind to explain the whole situation to me again?"
Manager: "Are you sure you have paid?"
The man at the table then started to speak.
Man: "How can you say that we have not paid?!"
Man: "You did not even give us the receipt after we paid."
The man suddenly banged on the table and raised his voice. The manager was obviously taken aback by his action. By now, everyone in the outlet was staring in the direction of the man, including those dumbass staffs.
Man: "What do you mean we have to ask for the receipt to get it?"
Man: "Aren't you suppose to give it to us after payment is made?"
Man: "Now you're saying that we don't have the receipt and did not pay for the food?!"
Man: "The very least you can do now is to apologise, but you did not!"
Man: "I bet none of the customers here got their receipts."
Man: "Fine, go ahead and call the police then. I'll see what you can do. I'll make sure the MCA and DAP (refering to the political parties) are here as well!"
The man stood up, and spoke in Mandarin.
Man: "Everyone, how many of you here received the receipt after your payment?"
Man: "Look at how they run their business. So lousy!"
The ladies were busy making the man to sit down. The manager was quiet throughout the whole ordeal. I guess she was scared to death. She then left the family alone and went back to the office without any more demand. Everything went back to normal after then.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~
My comment.
The manager could have just checked the total sales and money from that particular cashier. Should the figures matched, end of story. If it doesn't match, then proceed to question the staff.
In the situation where she must approach the family for clarification (or the former), the very first thing she must do is to apologise, no matter who is at fault. "Customer is always right". She must have forgotten that from her training. Afterall, sorry isn't so difficult to say, and most often will ease the tension.
Another thing is, they should give the customers their receipts. You can't expect every customer to demand the receipt from you. That's not the way it works. The management there should really discuss this matter over and find a solution. Else, I can guarantee such incident will repeat.
erm...mcd never gave me a receipt...hmm...
Posted by
Anonymous |
5:36 pm