A Friend From Paris
I received a special guest all the way from Paris during the weekend. His name is Paul, a 23 year-old currently doing his masters' program. He will be starting his 7-month internship with L'Oreal Malaysia this coming March. Prior to this, he was attached with L'Oreal France for 6 months.
My ex-colleague couldn't come down with Paul, so she asked for my favor to bring him around instead. I met Paul at the bus station upon his arrival on Saturday morning. I recommended Baba House for his stay, and we proceeded to check in at the hotel. RM 55 for a standard room inclusive of breakfast. I think it's quite a good deal.

Baba House - Reception Area

Baba House - The Interior
Paul had this guide book with him. He told me he got it in Paris, and the book is very famous. Something like the Lonely Planet. The title reads "The Guide Of Backpackers" (Le Guide Du Routard) for Malaysia (Malaisie) and Singapore (Singapour), excluding (sans) Borneo. My understanding of French not bad huh? :P

Le Guide Du Routard
I brought Paul around the historical sites and did a bit of explanation. I told him there isn't much to see in Melaka apart from the St Paul's Hill area. It is the food that he shouldn't miss. He tried some Nyonya dishes, chendol, chicken rice ball, satay celup, and ikan bakar. He liked them all, except for durian chendol. Hehe.

Geographer Cafe @ Jonker. (L-R): HM, Vincent, Me, Paul
I really enjoyed Paul's company. Maybe it's because he speaks fluent English without much French accent, and we share the same experience and interest while training in L'Oreal. I shared with him my experience in L'Oreal Malaysia, while he told me his in L'Oreal France.
For instance, the building he trained in is where L'Oreal was founded. Currently it's occupied by the Professional Product Division with over 600 employees in that division alone! (The whole L'Oreal Malaysia has only about 400 employees.) He got to train with 45 other interns in Paris, while I was the only one here in PJ. I was amazed with the kind of party they had in Paris. The celebration was grander and more happening that those held here. More people, more wine, more food.
The fact that he's working in the Marketing field interest me so much, as I want to pursue my career in that field. He definitely gave me good insight and valuable advice. :)
Oh well, the topic wasn't always on business of course. Paul also told me a lot about life as a Parisian and the French culture especially the food - pastries, foie gras, truffle, etc. He even invited me to pay him a visit in Paris. I guess I should start saving money. :P
I sent Paul to the bus station in the afternoon and bad him farewell. We promised to keep in touch, and perhaps meeting up again some time in the future.
never intro ur lengchai fren to me ar? LOL jk! where's my ais kacang wei
Posted by
Anonymous |
1:58 pm
et: Oh ya, I totally forgot to tell him about my tiny green friend. :P
You come to Melaka la. Then I'll bring you eat a lot of ice, until your brain freezes! Hehe. :D
Posted by
raymond |
12:49 am