Mandrake Linux
Finally. To be able to find time to blog after such a long break is really something joyful. Recent heavy workloads have kept me busy like hell. I'm glad the week has come to an end.
While trying to complete the Operating Systems (OS) project this week, I was exposed to Mandrake Linux. We were required to install this OS and configure some of its settings.
Was facing alot of problems while doing this project. First, it was the hard disk. My own hard disk is basically occupied with 2 partitions of near 40 GigaBytes of junks. To install Mandrake, I would need an approximate size of 5 GB blank partition. If I were to use my hard disk, then it would mean large transfer of files to my roommates's PC (his PC has massive storage space), before I can re-format the PC and make new partition.
The idea of carrying my CPU to campus for the project presentation freaked me out. Hehe. So I decided to borrow my friend's laptop for the installation instead. Got the installation CDs from another friend and happily installed the OS. Along the way, I noticed there were a few unsuccessful attempts to install some of the files. Surely, there were some problems when I tried the OS out.
Had no choice but to resort to desktop. This time, my groupmate is so willing to contribute his secondary hard disk. The hard disk needed to be partitioned into 2, one containing Windows XP and the other with Mandrake Linux (We need to have dual boot capability). Being an IT student, this is my very first time formatting a PC *blush blush* , and installing 2 OS at a time. Yaya, laugh at me while you can. There won't be a first time anymore. :P
Configuration part of Mandrake is really a headache. Given sufficient time, I think all the requirements of the project could be done. But due to time constraint, I just learned the basic ones from my friends. They were mostly commands - we weren't allowed to use the Graphical User Interface (GUI) like the one we always see in Windows. We were asked to use the terminal (console or command prompt).
The presentation this afternoon went well. Managed to find transport to bring the whole set of PC into the campus. :D Failed to carry out one of the requirements though.
Linux is an OS worth exploring. I can say it's a very powerful OS, though not as user-friendly as Windows. Its terminal (console) can perform more tasks compared to Windows' command prompt.
Well, at least the default OS games are far more exciting and fun than the ones in Windows OS. Try it out. ; )
While trying to complete the Operating Systems (OS) project this week, I was exposed to Mandrake Linux. We were required to install this OS and configure some of its settings.
Was facing alot of problems while doing this project. First, it was the hard disk. My own hard disk is basically occupied with 2 partitions of near 40 GigaBytes of junks. To install Mandrake, I would need an approximate size of 5 GB blank partition. If I were to use my hard disk, then it would mean large transfer of files to my roommates's PC (his PC has massive storage space), before I can re-format the PC and make new partition.
The idea of carrying my CPU to campus for the project presentation freaked me out. Hehe. So I decided to borrow my friend's laptop for the installation instead. Got the installation CDs from another friend and happily installed the OS. Along the way, I noticed there were a few unsuccessful attempts to install some of the files. Surely, there were some problems when I tried the OS out.
Had no choice but to resort to desktop. This time, my groupmate is so willing to contribute his secondary hard disk. The hard disk needed to be partitioned into 2, one containing Windows XP and the other with Mandrake Linux (We need to have dual boot capability). Being an IT student, this is my very first time formatting a PC *blush blush* , and installing 2 OS at a time. Yaya, laugh at me while you can. There won't be a first time anymore. :P
Configuration part of Mandrake is really a headache. Given sufficient time, I think all the requirements of the project could be done. But due to time constraint, I just learned the basic ones from my friends. They were mostly commands - we weren't allowed to use the Graphical User Interface (GUI) like the one we always see in Windows. We were asked to use the terminal (console or command prompt).
The presentation this afternoon went well. Managed to find transport to bring the whole set of PC into the campus. :D Failed to carry out one of the requirements though.
Linux is an OS worth exploring. I can say it's a very powerful OS, though not as user-friendly as Windows. Its terminal (console) can perform more tasks compared to Windows' command prompt.
Well, at least the default OS games are far more exciting and fun than the ones in Windows OS. Try it out. ; )
Labels: University